Best Muscle Cars
1966 AMC AMX Prototype, 1 of 2.
We only featured yesterday an AMC AMX, so today is even more exciting to find an AMC AMX prototype coming up for auction at Mecum.
Prototype cars are used for marketing. Not intended for the street, most were destroyed after they had served their purpose, which makes this one so special.
This ‘plastic prototype’ (fibreglass, actually) debuted at the Chicago Auto Show in 1966, gaining enough enthusiasm to be put into production via Italian coachbuilder Vignale, who was commissioned to create a running version of the car at the New York Auto Show in the same year.
This is your chance to not only get hold of a bit of muscle car history, but a prototype from the arguably more obscure of the muscle cars.
A definite one to keep your eye on.
– Believed to be one of two prototypes used for testing at the AMC proving grounds
– Fiberglass body crafted by Smith Inland of Ionia, Michigan
– Rear Rambleseat
– Initially slated for destruction after safety concerns outweighed performance
– Domenick Jiardine, Jr., line worker at the Kenosha plant requested that William Luneburg, then-President of American Motors, give him one of the cars
– Purchased for $50 by Jiardine
– 343 CI V-8 engine
– Dual exhaust
– 4-speed manual transmission
– Power brakes
– Garage kept and never shown
– Red with Black interior
– Bucket seats
– Fire extinguisher
– Wood steering wheel
– Chrome mirrors
– Firestone Redline tires
Click for More Muscle Cars For Sale – http://fastmusclecar.com/muscle-car-for-sale/